Cambridge City was platted on October 23, 1836 and celebrated its Sesquicentennial in 1986. The town celebrates its history and heritage during the second weekend in each September during the annual Canal Days festival, which commemorates the importance of the Whitewater Canal to the formation and growth of Cambridge City in the 19th century. Situated along the historic National Road (U.S. 40), Cambridge City is currently a prominent destination for antique seekers and is the home of many notable American figures and historic landmarks.
Click on any image to see a larger image.
Mount Airy, the Samuel H. Hoshour-Amick House (315 Sth Walnut St)
The Conklin-Montgomery House (302 East Main St)
The Meredith-Rice House (520 Meredith St)
The Bertsch House (221 South Walnut St)
The Scheidler/Biser House (National Road West)
The Dinwiddie-Mattingly House (323 West Front St)
The Martin Funk-Johnson House (20 East Main St)
The Swiggett House (130 West Main St)
Rose Hill (South Meredith St)
The Miller House (305 West Front St)
The Abiram Boyd/Gerard House (101 West Church St)
1787 -Northwest Territory Created by an act of Congress.
1795 -Treaty of Greenville opens settlement of the lands east of a line from the mouth of the Kentucky River to Fort Recovery, Ohio, the "Old Boundary Line".
1809 -Treaty of Fort Wayne results in the Indians ceding a strip of land, 12 miles wide, west of the "Old Boundary Line" to white settlement.
1811 -Twelve Mile Purchase surveyed.
1812 -War with England and fierce Indian fighting retard settlement.
1816 -Indiana achieves statehood.
1817 -Jackson Township created.
1827 -National Road located through Wayne County
1836 -Cambridge City founded.
1846 -Whitewater Canal opened to Cambridge City.
1851 -Township schools established.
1853 -First train runs on the Indiana Central Railroad.
1861 -First volunteers leave to fight the Civil War.
1870 -Cambridge City District Agricultural Society organized.