Cambridge City Area
Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 206
Cambridge City, IN 47327
Site by Cast Your Net Online
We could all use some help from time to time. We are looking for volunteers who have pride in our community and would like to give of themselves to help further our efforts in making the Western Wayne area a great place to be.
Contact the Town of Cambridge City for utilities and permits: (765) 478-3522
Cambridge City was platted on October 23, 1836 and celebrated its Sesquicentennial in 1986. The town celebrates its history and heritage during the second weekend in each September during the annual Canal Days festival, which commemorates the importance of the Whitewater Canal to the formation and growth of Cambridge City in the 19th century. Situated along the historic National Road (U.S. 40), Cambridge City is currently a prominent destination for antique seekers and is the home of many notable American figures including:
Buckskin Ben - a famous show business personality of the 1890s
"Single G" - a world famous pacer who won many horse races during the Great Depression
Solomon Meredith - a Quaker general in the American Civil War
The Overbeck Sisters - four daughters of John and Sarah Overpeck who hand-produced their internationally-known Overbeck Art Pottery in Cambridge City from 1911–1955, noted for their Arts and Crafts designs, distinctive glazes and work in the grotesque style. There art can be seen at the Overbeck Museum at the Cambridge City Public Library.
Huddleston Farmhouse - The Huddleston Farmhouse Inn & Museum is located right outside Cambridge City in the small village of Mt. Auburn on the National Road. It is the eastern regional office of Indiana Landmarks and the headquarters of the Indiana National Road Association. Cambridge City is noted for its abundance in historic architecture, specifically in the Federal, Greek Revival, and Italianate styles. Famous structures include Rose Hill, the Conklin-Montgomery House, the Overbeck-Mattheis House, the Meredith-Rice House, the Bertsch House (home of the town's resident physician James Bertsch, D.O.), the Scheilder/Biser House, the Demwiddle-Mattingly House, the Martin Funk-Johnson House, the Fowler House, and many more.
Vinton House - The Vinton House of Cambridge City is a former hotel that was established in 1847. This building sits at the former intersection of the National Road (U.S 40) and the Whitewater Canal. The canal's turnaround basin rested just a few feet from the Vinton House's rear door, which brought in passengers and goods from Cincinnati.